Disclaimer

These opinions do not reflect those of AVI/VSO.

Monday, October 11, 2010

'Better Homes and Garden' - Guyana Special

I have just realised I haven’t included any pictures of the accommodation I am living in so I am now rectifying that situation.

I am living in a two-bedroom apartment, with my landlord and her family living above. They are really fantastic people who are quick to deal with anything (one lock stopped working and we had the bathroom leaking through to my kitchen – all sorted). They want me to enjoy my time here so are happy for me to have friends over, drink a few beers, etc. It makes my life so much easier, especially when they are playing music, or watching videos and I can hear them. I actually find the noise level comforting and know that I don’t need to be so concerned with my own noise level. I just like the sound of people enjoying their lives! I will never begrudge anyone that (although it is hard sometimes, especially when one of the neighbours decides to accompany the sunrise with Celine Dion).

In fact I really enjoy the whole music thing here. Walking down the street I can hear what I think to be the strangest music for the setting but as I continue walking, it seems to fit the soundtrack of the life I have now. It adds to the movie quality of my time here. But I digress…

The place itself is quite interesting. It’s basically a concrete place with each room painted a different colour, as you will see in the photos. I haven’t decorated the place, for two reasons. I think there is enough colour as it is, plus I am enjoying having an uncluttered life without ‘stuff’. The other strange thing is that the internal walls don’t go all the way to the ceiling, making the place not so private but it does help with the air circulation, meaning sometimes I come home and the place actually feels slightly cool.

The bathroom is the room that makes me laugh the most. It is huge. It is hot pink. But it is the toilet that gets me, with the two internal steps up to the throne; it really is a throne! The shower is great also, with jet-propelled pressure – when the town water supply is on.

This all just adds character to the place that I really enjoy living in. Plus there are some added bonuses. My landlord’s daughter does my washing and cleans the house (first time ever I have paid someone to do this – definitely won’t be the last). They also have a clothes washing business, which means they have a lot of tanks, so when the water gets switched off to my part of town, I still have a water, if at a reduced pressure (meaning bucket showers). Others are not so lucky. And I do like the view out the front door at the field across the road. It keeps me connected to my rural roots. (My place is located in what I guess you could call a suburb of Bartica. It is a nice walk up the hilly street to get to work but that also means a walk downhill at the end of the day, usually with the sun setting over the forest at the end of the street.)

My place probably won’t be the centre-spread of ‘Better Homes and Garden’ for a reason I simply cannot fathom. So I present it to you here, so you too can be inspired…

2 comments:

  1. We have a big step up to our toilet as well - but then its a squat.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day Kane

    What's your email address? bukoba dot steve at gmail dot com

    Cheers
    Steve

    ReplyDelete